Jul 3, 2012

That Time I Tried to Draw NHL Logos

Two and a half years ago, Daniel and I moved from one basement suite to the another. It was a long day of packing, loading, unloading, directing people where to put boxes, feeding people, and a bit of unpacking as well. Needless to say, I was exhausted at the end of it all. Not only that, but my back hurt like the dickens.

I took some pain killers, the special back pain kind that also have a muscle relaxant, and soon I felt pretty good. A little too good actually. There have only been a handful of times in my life where medication and over-tiredness combined to create a kind of drunken state. This was definitely one of them. Daniel and I lay in our sleeping bags in our nearly empty 'old' living room, and instead of sleeping (that would have been a good decision) I proceeded to try and draw NHL logos from memory.

It turned out to be quite an entertaining evening. I thought I had done a pretty good job on most of them until Daniel stepped in and told me how they should actually look. See for yourself.


I'd like to draw (no pun intended) your attention to a few things: 

  • The number of times I tried to draw the Tampa Bay logo, a simple lightning bolt. They are scattered all around and none of them are particularly impressive.
  • I drew the top two Oilers logos, then Daniel drew the bottom left one to show me what it should look like. Then I drew the bottom right. Sadly, I think I was picturing a "Coilers" shirt that I saw a Flames fan wearing once. Still not very accurate.
  • The Canucks Orca logo was originally just half a whale. Then Daniel drew the rest of the "C" for me.
  • He also informed me that the flame on Calgary's "C" should be coming off the back, not the top. Seems like I might have trouble with C-shaped logos in general.
For fun, here are a few side-by-side comparisons:












If you are looking for a fun rainy day activity this July (can you tell I live in the Pacific Northwest?), try your hand at drawing some logos from memory. Just be willing to laugh at yourself a little. Or, if you'd rather not laugh at yourself, have a friend draw them instead. Then laugh at them.

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, I think they're pretty good! Which is to say, I recognized what you were going for with each. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it funny that both Daniel's and your Blackhawks look like emo skater dudes :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty funny. What can I say... We are MFEO.

      Delete
  3. that flyers logo is absolutely terrible haha. i can't believe that it didn't get showcased!

    ReplyDelete